Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Eat your Wheaties, get a Merc

Don't just swing anywhere

Lately I have been hunting in parks that are adjacent to some of the more historical landmarks in town. The focal point of the hunt has not been on the "center of the action" spots that most everyday people would think would be the place to swing your coil. Instead, I look at an area and see if there is any evidence of recent soil disturbance. What you aim for is areas that have not gotten any attention from the maintenance crew. These grounds tend to hold the older coin at a shallower depth than most other areas where there is often many rounds of topsoil removal and reseeding.

The Wheaties keep coming

Lately I have not shied away from the obvious "penny" signals. Sometimes these come out of the ground as old wheat pennies, and sometimes come out of unexpected places. I recently pulled a 1926 Wheat out of a pile of silt that had piled up from a wall drain - only 1 inch from the surface! Oldest one to date, 1919, came from a strip of grass across from the ol' swimming hole.

 


The first Mercury Dime, quite the surprise!

While on my hunt right next to an old train depot, I got an unusual VDI signal coming from my XTerra 705 that I have not seen before (at least one that was this consistent). Keep giving a solid "46" from all angles I approached it so I decided to check it out. About 5-6inches down, what I initially imagined to be just some type of "can slaw" ended up being a nice shiny silver piece for me. Imagine my surprise when I took it out thinking it was a silver Rosie and it ended up being my very first Mercury dime - dated 1942! That find made my day. After some research, I discovered 1942 had a small portion of Mercs that were minted with a "2" stamped over last "1" in "1941" - these coins are worth about $250-600 depending on the condition. Closer inspection revealed I did not have this error coin but it was exciting for a brief moment to think I found something potentially rare.

Have some other finds to post from other hunts, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment