Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, May 20, 2013

The best 30 minute hunt ever!

Had a chance to quickly jump out of the house for a very brief hunt. Ended up going to two locations. The first was the 1917 house, and the second was a nearby gathering place that has been around part of the city for ages. About 10 minutes into the hunt, I pulled this out of the ground about 3-4 inches down in a spot where the land owner had been parking his truck. At first I thought it was just a copper/brass emblem with no real good identifying marks. When I got it home and washed off the other side, I got a wealth of information. The inscription read "Douglas the Tailor  Originator of the Concave Shoulder and the Unbreakable Front  85 S. Howard St.  Akron, Ohio"

Front

Back
  After doing some research I discovered that Doug the Tailor did exist in Akron, Ohio - the only reference I found with an actual date attached to this business was in a 1917 publication of the Elyria Evening Telegram - not sure if this was when the emblem was made or exactly when the business was first around. I will have to do some more research. Perhaps the historical society in Akron can assist me.

Elyria Evening Telegram 1917


Relocated the last part of my hunt since I initially thought I was on my way home to provide my better half with reinforcement on the crazy kids, but was called off. The very first good signal I got was a nice consistent  28-30. About 5-6 inches down I unveiled my very first old foreign coin, a 1920 Large Canadian Cent in pretty good condition.


After this find, I was on cloud nine and then had to head back to the casa. Could not have asked for a better short hunt then this - wonder if another one will someday top how productive this one was in such a brief amount of time. Guess I will be returning this lovely spot again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment