Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 20, 2013

The mystery button...

One of the interesting items that I came across in my hunt at the 1912 house in my last post was what looked like a rather large button. My initial impression was that the button had some sort of baseball pattern with a letter "E" in the middle.

Mystery button







I posted on a few metal detecting forums to get some feedback on what this relic might be. Although I did not get any solid info - one member did observe that the image on the button was not an "E" but rather part of an image of a belt. Using this to base my research on, I scoured the internet, looking for anything that looked close to what was on the button. Many, many, many images poured through later,

Vintage Western Style Cowboy Buttons White metal Cowboy Hat,Boots,buckle,rope,

I discovered the very same design on a smaller button for sale on an auction website, offered through someone who had business that dealt with all sorts of button, along with other trinkets. I emailed the owner and was surprised to get a rather quick reply. She indicated that she will consult with her other "button friends" and let me know what she found out. A few days later, I got the following response

** I believe it is made of brass. Nice size too. It represents a belt buckle, and I would think probably dates between 1910-1930. Unless it has a backmark you would not be able to tell who made it **

Very cool! This is perhaps the oldest relic I have found to date. Will continue with this site - even sweeping through with slightly different sensitivity/threshold settings.


No comments:

Post a Comment