Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 14, 2013

A few small hunts and a new baby

So I have already gotten a start about a month and a half ago on hunting local parks whenever the weather got above 40F. I have gotten some nice little additions to my collection - just a few months into the new year and I scored my second overall gold ring. It was small one (0.75g) and only 10K but I am not going to complain (gold is gold!).



Also found a old car wash token - or what I thought was an old car wash token. The markings indicate according to my research to be a modern token (at least past 1980) that is still used today.

My last hunt was at one of my favorite parks in town with lots o' history behind it and what do I discover that nice spring afternoon - another detectorist! I was floored. I have been at this hobby for just over a year now and this is the first other person with a detector that I have seen in town. It was great to talk detecting with him. He even uses the same machine as I do - yeah! Go Minelab Xterra! It would be great to have another person to detect with that has an appreciation for the hobby as well.

This was the last hunt I took in before the birth of my second son (less than 12hours after that). Ended up with some interesting relics this time around. I unearthed some old railroad parts, including a very large square nut. I also discovered parts to an old Hubley Texan Jr. Cap gun (circa 1950s) - there was just one of the sides behind the cylinder but enough for me to ID what the item was. I will have to go back to the spot and see if there are other pieces left over.



Also came across an old lipstick case from COTY (New York) when lipstick cases were made out of metal. Hard to decipher what era it is from based on the decorative pattern.

Some people might be bothered by detecting with another person or even get territorial over someone detecting in "my park" or think "they are going to get all the good stuff" -- not me. If you are in this hobby with those thoughts, you are probably in the hobby for the wrong reasons. There is always be something great to find, there is plenty of ground to hunt, and there are lots of great people out there who y can learn from and share in your hunts with.

The last item - I have saved the best for last - was a cap to a old tube of listerine toothpaste - circa 1930s!!  Very cool find, some of the front part of the tube was still attached that gave Lambert Pharmacal Company along the edge (the LPCo symbol embossed on the cap). LP Co was the original company to develop Listerine.




3 comments:

  1. Nice finds! I am in Great Falls as well and would be interested in some joint hunts around the area. I have been a longtime lurker from Treasurenet and have been wanting to get into detecting for years now. Once my MD comes in, I would be interested in doing some hunts soon. Let me know if you are interested.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, great to hear from another GTF resident who will be detecting soon. This is an awesome place to detect with a vast array of local and regional history that will keep you grabbing for your detector at the next opportunity. I would interested in hunting with you sometime in the near future - let me know when you get your machine in and get comfortable with it and we can go after some great finds together.

      Delete
  2. Hi Dan,
    Awesome finds, I live in Airdrie, Alberta, Canada and I have been metal detecting for the last 9 years. I'm from Nova Scotia where I think only about three people own detectors. I would absolutely love to go beeping with you some day in the montana area, that would be fun. I'm only about 4 hrs from great falls. Some stuff I found in Nova Scotia I gave to the museum like old silver and musket balls and a couple provincial coins. Email me if you would like to go beeping this summer.
    Nfl007@gmail.com.

    Thanks and nice posts Dan.

    ReplyDelete