Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Thoughts on upcoming metal detecting pilot show

A couple guys from Anaconda are part of a two show pilot on the National Geographic channel called 'Diggers' that airs tonight.

Here is the AP report: http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/4e395666297947f5a0c42c9c192a99cb/MT--Anaconda-Treasure/

I am curious on how this show will present itself even though I am boiling with excitement. The main concern I have is that they will not show the hobby in its purist state. I guess there is a code of ethics that people in the hobby like to follow. They basically boil down to -
1) Know the law concerning where you detect and ask permission if needed
2) Respect the rights of others
3) Leave no trace with your activities

Also, I hope the hobby is shown for all its ups and downs - as in they show how you will mostly collect junk (pullatbs, foil, zippers, etc) and come across interesting stuff less frequently. If they just show the guys getting great finds with every beep, it will not be representative of the hobby. I understand there is a certain amount of entertainment vs. reality that has to be balanced to keep the show afloat, but I just hope that the way it is portrayed comes across in such as way that you would see the same approach by any other metal detecting hobbyist no matter the experience level.

No comments:

Post a Comment